Highwood Classic Arms

Classic Target & Sporting Rifles

HOME

BACK


Selection of Mauser K98 Rifles

Calibre 7.92/8mm
Top to Bottom

1. 1941 Portuguese Contract Serial No H4845 - SOLD
2. 1938 J.P. SAUER CODE S/147 Serial No 3146 - Reserved MG
3. 1937 S/42 Code Mauser factory at Oberndorf Serial No 197 - Reserved B
4. 1938 S/243 Code Mauser Factory Borsigwalde Serial No 3788 - Reserved LB
5. Ceskoslovenská Zbrojovka, A.S., BRNO Post War Rebuild Serial No 8233K
6. Yugo K98k Preduzece 44 Post War Rebuild Serial No J6989

For Further Detail & Prices See Below


1941 Portuguese Contract Serial No H4845
£900 SOLD

 

A very good example of a 1941 Portuguese Contract Mauser K98k Service Rifle. This is believed to be one of the un-delivered “H” block rifles that was diverted back to the German Army. These rifles are straight off the assembly line German Military issued K98k Rifles, they are waffenamted and made just like any other 1941 Mauser made 98k , the only difference being that the stock and receiver bear the State Crest of Portugal. Indeed, many of these rifles were not even sent to the Portuguese but straight to the Russian Front, as they were diverted back into the German Army who had just invaded the Soviet Union.

All Matching Serial Numbers - Fully Waffenamt Marked

1938 J.P. SAUER CODE S/147 Serial No 3146
£900 Reserved MG

In very good condition, a scarce and hard to find early production 1938 dated J.P. Sauer assembled K98k Service Rifle. J.P. Sauer was one of the top Suhl Gunmakers who all participated in 98k production.

All Matching Numbers Except Floor Plate - Fully Waffenamt Marked


1937 S/42 Code Mauser factory at Oberndorf Serial No 197 - Russian Capture
£750 Reserved B

This is a 1937 military production Mauser 98K rifle, the top of the receiver is marked "S/42" which is the wartime code for the Mauser factory at Oberndorf

Russian Capture

After the second world war, the soviet union ended up with TONS of German WWII weaponry, and equipment. Among the weapon spoils they obtained from Germany were millions of K98 rifles. These were all acquired from the vast operations, and battles on the eastern front. These rifles sat in storage for at least ten years after the war untouched, and it wasn't until the height of the cold war when they would be pulled out. Not every rifle captured from the war would be in functioning condition. So instead of repairing each broken rifle, a total refurbishment process was ordered for every rifle. Rifles were broken down in batches to their basic components, and inspected for functionality. The broken parts were most likely scrapped. Every functioning metal part was re blued, and the stock/hand guard was crudely brushed with red shellac. The waffen nampt eagles that retained a swastika were mostly defaced. For some reason the capture screws, cleaning rod, and sight hood were disregarded. After this process the rifles were reassembled with no regard to matching numbers, and tested for functionality. If the rifle functioned with no issues, it was then renumbered with an electro pencil. The serial number sometimes stamped into the rear section of the stock. The final addition added to the rifle was an (X) stamped into the receiver. This shows it passed inspection, and it is now soviet property.


1938 S/243 Code Mauser Factory Borsigwalde Serial No 3788 - Russian Capture
£750 Reserved LB

We have a scarce early production 1938 dated S/243 code (Mauser Borsigwalde) made K98k Mauser Service Rifle.
This is very much an example of one of those rare sought after codes. Mauser Borsigwalde was the Second Mauser Plant and was located in a suburb of Berlin


Ceskoslovenská Zbrojovka, A.S., BRNO Post War Rebuild Serial No 8233K
£550

Post War Rebuild using captured Nazi K98's, often, there are visible waffenamt inspectors marks to be found, as well as the Czech markings

Czech K98 Mauser Rifle, Overhauled at Czech Brno arsenals, original German reciever marks are scrubbed off.

Israel Conection

There was no real market in the West, and the Soviets had captured plenty of their own from the Germans. But German arms, especially small arms, were thought of as superior to the Allies’ by many Third World countries. As such, there were small-market opportunities in Central and South America, and especially the Middle East. So Omnipol, a pre-WWII Czech export company in Prague, was resurrected to handle the transactions.

Operation Balak
Supplying the Haganah was a win-win for the cash-starved Czechs as well as the Jews. Golda Meir and others set about the globe raising currency (particularly in the United States) the Czechs desperately needed.

The deal was called Operation Balak. It involved several purchases of arms. The purchases were handled by Omnipol via a shadowy government holding company called Secretariat D. The first iteration, in 1947, involved the sale and transfer MG34 machine guns, 4,500 rifles and more than 50 million rounds of ammunition. Most of the arms came from the old Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka, which, since the end of the war, had been reorganized with other facilities into the “people’s enterprise” Zbrojovka Brno, or ZB. The arms and ammunition were then smuggled into Palestine.


Yugo K98k Preduzece 44 - Post War Rebuild Serial - No J6989
£550

Captured Nazi K98 rebuilt post war prior to 1950 in Yugoslavia

The Zastava M98/48 (often called Mod.98/48, Model. 98/48, Yugo K98k) was a refurbished bolt-action rifle, chambered for the 7.92×57mm Mauser, a cartridge that was temporary adopted in the years after World War II by the Yugoslav People's Army. This design was a refurbished Mauser Kar98k rifle that had been left-over by Germans or captured by partisans during World War II.

The original German markings were scrubbed and replaced by the Yugoslav ones. The most noticeable markings are the Yugoslav Crest and the "Preduzece 44"(It refers to the site where it was refurbished; for example "Preduzece 44" which stands for "Institute 44"-Kragujevac or Factory 44, in Serbia-the current location of Zastava Arms Factory) present on the receiver's ring. Another noticeable marking is the one present on the left side of the receiver, the "Mod. 98/48". The "/48" is absent on all the rifles that have been refurbished before 1950.