One of Several Finnish M91 & M24 Mosin Nagants we have just aquired
At the time of the Russian revolution Finland was under
the rule of the Tsar. When Nicholas II was deposed Finland declared its
independence and defeated the Russian forces in Finland, but retained
stores of arms. With an urgent need to build an army to defend itself
from the real threat of Russia and having huge stock piles of captured
Mosins already on hand it only made sense to adopt it as the primary rifle.
The condition ranged from serviceable to “parts guns”. With
an abundance of spare parts it was only natural to use them to build “new”
rifles that could be put to use. In 1925 Finland began production of barrels
at Tikkakoski (Tikka) which were assembled into M91 configuration with
dates of 1925, 1926, and 1927. The later 1926 and all 1927 barrels were
a heavier type with a step near the muzzle to allow the use of the standard
Finnish M91s have the same type sights as the Russian Konovalov design of 1908. The primary difference is the Finns remarked the rear sight bases in meters utilizing the existing notches. Occasionally an extra notch is cut at the rear of the base and is marked 2 (200 meters). Typically the numbers are placed on the right side of the base which was left blank by the Russians, but there are lots of variations in the manner of the numbering and how the existing Russian numbers were treated.
This is a really nice example of a Finnish Capture
The bore is in good condition and has some loss
of brightness & occasional light frosting in places, but remains in
good shootable condition
The barrel is a VKT (Valtion Kirvaaritehdas) dated 1940 and was proably rebarrelled and or overhauled at this time, The barrel also bears the "SA" mark which is an abbreviation of Suomen Armeija (Finnish Army) and used as a property mark. Another mark found on the chamber is the "D" mark. This indicates that the throat of the rifle was opened up to allow use of the Finnish D166 round which required more room for the larger ogive of the bullet.
The rear sight is the original Russian Russian Konovalov
design of 1908, converted to metres on the right hand side and has the
less common 200 Metre setting as well. This sight has slight corrosion
to the right side, this would have happened when on the original barrel
and is not a development that has happened when fitted to the 19040 dated
Dating of the original rifle is normally discovered by
marks underneath on the rear action tang, except on very early examples.
The Stock on this example bears the mark AV3 (Finnish Arms Depot 3) & rack number
The Conitinuation War
Acts of war between the Soviet Union and Finland recommenced on 22 June 1941, the day Germany launched its invasion of the Soviet Union, with covert Finnish operations.
The Continuation War began shortly after the end of the Winter War, which also was fought between Finland and the Soviet Union. In the Soviet Union, the war was considered part of the Great Patriotic War. Germany regarded its operations in the region as part of its overall war efforts on the Eastern Front, and it provided Finland with critical material support and military cooperation.
Open warfare began with a Soviet air offensive on 25 June. Subsequent Finnish operations undid its post-Winter War concessions to the Soviet Union on the Karelian Isthmus and Ladoga Karelia, and captured East Karelia by September 1941. On the Karelian Isthmus, the Finns halted their offensive 30 km from Leningrad, at the pre-World War II border between the Soviet Union and Finland. Finnish forces did not participate in the siege of Leningrad directly, holding their pre-World War II territory on the Karelian Isthmus for two and a half years instead. Soviet air forces conducted air raids on Helsinki and other major Finnish cities. Eventually, in mid-1944, the Soviet strategic offensive drove the Finns from most of the territories they had gained during the war, but the Finnish Army later brought the offensive to a standstill in July 1944. A ceasefire ended hostilities on 5 September and was followed by the Moscow Armistice on 19 September. The 1947 Paris peace treaty concluded the war formally.