As the Arab-Israeli conflict approached, the Haganah and
other Jewish forces in Palestine tried to get hold of as many weapons
as they could in the
The vast majority of Israel’s 98k inventory was
obtained from Czechoslovakia, in one of history’s greatest arms-smuggling
This example being marked SWP 45, was originally
manufactured at the Czech Waffenfabric Brunn arsenal which produced K98s
for the Wermacht towards
In 1954 Israel was looking to re-equip it’s frontline units with the then-new FN FAL assault rifle which used the 7.62 NATO round. This presented a dilemma as the country still had thousands of 98k rifles and millions of 7.92x57mm Mauser rounds on hand. It could either maintain a parallel logistics system, or rechamber the 98ks to the new round. The latter option was selected.
This example is one of the original rifles supplied to the new Jewish state of Israel citrca 1948, an original German issued K98 manufactured by Waffenfabric Brunn
Converted to 7.62 in January 1956, and restocked
in an Israeli manufactured stock, which has the brass reinforcing pins
specific to this model.
A large “7.62” stamped on top of
the receiver top and equally large “7.62” branded into the
butt of the stock.
Very Good Condition - Excellent Bore