The Mauser–Vergueiro was a bolt-action rifle, designed
in 1904 by José Alberto Vergueiro, an infantry officer of the Portuguese
Army, and manufactured by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM).
It was developed from the Mauser 98 rifle with the introduction of a
The weapon replaced the Kropatschek m/1886 as the standard
infantry rifle of the Portuguese Army in 1904, remaining in service until
An additional 5,000 Mauser–Vergueiro rifles, chambered in 7×57mm Mauser, were produced in 1906 for Brazil's Federal Police, using leftover components from the Portuguese order and issued in the cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. In 1915, 25,000 of Portugal's Mauser–Vergueiro rifles were sold to South Africa, which had insufficient Lee–Enfield SMLE rifles to supply all of its troops.
In Portuguese and South African service it was used in combat in the First World War and in several colonial campaigns. The German colonial troops in East Africa also used Mauser–Vergueiro rifles, captured from the allied forces in combat. The Portuguese Expeditionary Corps on the Western Front used British weapons and equipment for logistical reasons, and so did not use the Vergueiro. Although Portugal was neutral in World War II, in 1942 Portuguese forces briefly fought against the Japanese occupation of Portuguese Timor using Mauser–Vergueiro rifles.
In 1939, after the Portuguese Army had adopted the 7.92×57mm Mauser 98k as the m/937, many of the remaining Mauser–Vergueiro rifles were modified to chamber the new standard cartridge. The modified rifles were called Espingarda 8 mm m/1904-39.
Markings on the modified rifles remained unchanged.
The 7.92x57mm Mauser-Vergueiro rifle was kept in limited use in the Portuguese Army until the middle 1960s, mainly in some Overseas units.
Good Condition - With Shooting Grade Bore