The standard Italian rifle of the Great War was adopted in 1891. It was fed with a 6-round clip. The clip was a Mannlicher design and the breech block assembly was designed by an Italian gunsmith named Carcano.
While it is looked down upon by some devotees of the "finer"
rifles, it was a rugged weapon that didn't foul up easily
It's length was designed for an obsolete method of warfare, allowing an infantryman to fend off the lance or saber of a mounted cavalryman.
This example has just been degreased - until recently still sealed in its war reserve preservative similar to Cosmoline
Manufactured at the Torino Arsenal in 1898 - 124 Years Ago
Butt Marked FAT 1947, for Fabbrica Armi di Terni, where
was inspected & any repairs undertaken then put in to war resereve