The Model 1896 rifle in 6.5×55mm (6,5 mm Gevär m/96) was adopted in 1896 for infantry use, replacing the Model 1867–1889 Remington rolling block rifle in 8×58mmR Danish Krag.
Swedish production started in 1898 at Carl Gustafs, but additional rifles were produced by Mauser during 1899 and 1900 because of delays in shipping additional production machinery from Germany to Sweden.
Standard production at Carl Gustafs continued until 1925, but approximately 18,000 m/96 rifles were manufactured by Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB during World War II for civilian marksmanship training.
Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori manufactured 475,000 m/1896 rifles between 1896 and 1925 & latter examples upto 1932 were assembled from existing spares
The left side of the action is marked with the initials
K.B. - Konrad August Berglund who was the Swedish Army inspection officer
at the factory between
All matching with the exception of the cleaning rod
This example is in Excellent Condition for a rifle that is 115 years old and has a good shooting grade bore