The model 1888 rifle, originally known as “Gewehr
modell 1888” or “Komissiongewehr” (Commission rifle),
was developed by a group of officers from GewehrPrufungsKomission
In Germany, service life of the Gew.88 as a primary infantry rifle was relatively short. After just 10 years of service it was officially replaced with the Mauser-designed Gew.98
Following adoption of the modified 7,9mm S-patrone in 1902 (with lighter and much faster “Spitzer” or pointed bullet) many of the Gew.88 rifles were adapted for this new ammunition by reaming out the front of the chamber. These rifles, sometimes referred to as “Gew.88S”, are clearly marked with the letter “S” stamped on the top of receiver.
From 1905, many of the old G.88S rifles were further modified
to G.88/05 standard to make use of the new, standard issue Mauser stripper
This example made at Spandau in 1890 has been upgraded for the new ammunition using the .323 bullet and has the receiver marked "S" to identify this.
Other than that, this one escaped the 1905 & 1914 upgrades.
A nice example of a Gewehr 1888, the bore has some wear & bolt is mismatched.
Regimentally Marked: 2.P.E.1.24.
2nd Pioniere Batallion Ersaztz Abteilung. 1st
Company, weapon 24.